Heartburn: Common Causes And When To See A Doctor
Find answers to commonly asked questions about heartburn.
What is Heartburn?
Heartburn is a complaint among people irrespective of their age.
There can be various reasons for the development of Heartburn and determining the exact cause is essential to obtain proper treatment.
Heartburn Facts –
There are a number of triggers for heartburn and food is not the only one. Certain foods for instance spicy meals can trigger heartburn. When you eat your stomach produces digestive acids. They are meant to stay in your stomach, but if they move up into your esophagus or throat they will cause heartburn. Smoking and being overweight can also cause heartburn.
Frequently asked questions
Can you get rid of heartburn?
Try these remedies for getting rid of heartburn:
- wearing loose clothing
- standing up straight
- elevate your upper body
- mixing baking soda with water
- licorice supplements
- sipping apple cider vinegar
- chewing gum to help dilute acid
- staying away from cigarette smoke
- over-the-counter medications
What foods give you heartburn?
- Alcohol, particularly red wine.
- Black pepper, garlic, raw onions, and other spicy foods.
- Citrus fruits and products, such as lemons, oranges and orange juice.
- Coffee and caffeinated drinks, including tea and soda.
Heartburn is more common in adults but infants and children can experience it.
There can be various reasons for the development of heartburn and determining the exact cause is essential to obtain proper treatment.